Fast facts for crazy busy people.
- They have way more money than any other generational cohort. Millennials may be ‘sexy’, but they have no money, or maybe money for 1 holiday a year.
2. They have way more time than anyone else. They may be fully retired, semi-retired, more flexible in their workplace or more likely to have plans to travel between jobs.
3. They will fill your low season and solve your over-tourism problems, they don’t like the crowds.
4. Those who travel, have grand plans to do so. Planning multiple trips domestic and international per year.
5. New Young Consulting research shows that 40% of Australian travellers over 55 plan to spend between $10k – $50K per person per annum on travel.
6. They want to hear from you and are receptive to email marketing. Especially ‘deals that pop into my inbox’.
7. They will tell everyone what a great time they had on your tour, at your hotel or at your destination. They are brilliant advocates.
8. No one else want’s to market to them because they think that seniors don’t spend money…this couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, less than 10% of marketing dollars are aimed at the 50+.
9. We will never again see a more cashed-up and time rich demographic cohort in our lifetimes.
10. According to Tripadvisor in 2019, millennials spend less than half on accommodation than baby boomers.
Bronwyn White, is the CEO of New Young Consulting a market intelligence and strategic marketing agency that specialises in the seniors travel market.
She brings with her an unrivaled understanding of how the travel industry works including the nuanced complexities and a complete, well rounded understanding of the travellers it serves.
She has been watching and researching the baby boomer generation for the last 15 years, in particular travel planning and booking habits.
Bronwyn is a globally recognised market researcher with a travel sales and marketing background. Over 30 years she has worked in a wide range of travel industry verticals including:
- Airline (Qantas)
- Sales reservations
- Wholesale, Retail sales, Corporate sales
- Sales representation – groups
- Market research and consumer insights
- Destination marketing manager (Destination NSW)
- Travel research specialist at a large research agency (TNS)
- Co-Founder of Domesticate, an annual syndicated study into the Australian travel market
- CEO /Co-founder at boutique research firm MyTravelResearch.com
- Author of the book Seniors Travel Tips
- Owner and founder of New Young Travel, a travel blog for +55’s established 2006
We will never see another business sector like the over+50s economy. Increase your relevance, connect with the 3rd largest global economy (behind USA and China), create loyalty, raving fans and increase your revenue.